The holiday season is rapidly approaching. It's time for parties and family get-togethers. The last thing you want is to have your festivities interrupted by a plumbing emergency. Luckily, you don't have to expend a lot of energy to avoid the problems. In fact, with just a few quick tricks, you can help prevent several common plumbing issues. Here are a few simple ways to avoid things like drain odors and clogged toilets.
You never know when you're going to experience a clogged drain. If it happens during your party, it can put a damper on the whole event. One way to avoid clogs is to keep your drains cleaned. This is particularly important if it's been a while since you had your drains professionally cleaned. Things like grease, debris and food can build up inside the drains. Before the party, take a few minutes to clean and deodorize your kitchen sink.
Supplies You'll Need
- 1 ¾ cup of baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup of vinegar
- 1 gallon of boiling water
- Pour the baking soda down the drain on each side of your sink.
- Allow the baking soda to sit for about 15 minutes.
- Slowly pour your vinegar into both drains.
- You'll notice the baking soda begin to foam.
- Leave the solution to foam in the drains for about 20 minutes.
- Carefully pour the boiling water down the drain.
- To keep your drains clean, repeat the process once a month.
Smelly Garbage Disposal
Foul odors coming from your garbage disposal can smell up the entire kitchen. You don't want those foul odors to disrupt your gathering. There's a quick and easy way to clean the garbage disposal and remove the debris that could be causing the odors.
Supplies You'll Need
- Whole lemon or orange
- 2 cups crushed ice
- Cut your lemon or orange into several pieces.
- Place the fruit inside the garbage disposal.
- Add the crushed ice and turn the garbage disposal on.
- Allow the garbage disposal to run until the ice has been dissolved.
- The ice will clean the disposal and sharpen the blades, while the fruit freshens the drains.
Slow Flushing Toilets
Your guests are going to need to use your restrooms during the party. You want to make sure your toilets are flushing properly. If your toilets have been sluggish, they may be clogged by solid waste deposits. You can clean the drains and remove the waste with rock salt. Pour a cup of rock salt in the toilet and flush it away. The rock salt will dissolve solid waste, including toilet paper and fecal matter. To keep your toilets flushing properly, repeat the treatment once a month.
If you're having parties this holiday season, you want to prevent plumbing problems from disrupting your fun. The simple tricks outlined here will help avoid embarrassing plumbing issues. If you have plumbing problems that you can't take care of using these tips, be sure to contact a plumber, like those at Roto-Rooter, as soon as possible.Share